Jefferson Elementary, located at 420 N. Jefferson St, was built in 1923. Most recent renovations include interior changes like windows, ceilings and heating changes in 2007 as well as a new gym, food service area, and seven new classrooms added in 1989 to the east end of the existing structure. At that time, additional property was purchased at the south and east ends of our school to improve parking and traffic flow.
Jefferson Elementary School currently houses nearly 400 students with two sections each of kindergarten through fifth grade, 5 sections of Early Childhood Center Program students, 3 sections of Kinder Start students, and 3 resource room sections which also accommodate EMI (Emotionally Mentally Impaired) students
Jefferson School was mentioned as a Best Practices School Building in both the 1998/1999 and the 1999/2000 Standard & Poor’s Report for outperforming the state average, as measured by the proportion of MEAP scores that meet or exceed state standards, despite having above-average levels of economically-disadvantaged students.
In 2004, Jefferson School was honored as a nominee for a Blue Ribbon School by the Michigan Department of Education.
Our school continues to achieve at a high rate. In both 2006 and 2007 Jefferson School received an “A” on the Education Yes report card as delivered by the Michigan Department of Education.